[openstack-dev] [nova] Do we need new nova configuration option to show compute nodes with shared_storage or not ?

ChangBo Guo glongwave at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 04:13:58 UTC 2015

Hi ALL,

I have been working on bug 1414432 [1] recently,  I would like do more
discussion before further work.

I'm talking about libvirt driver( maybe fit for other hypervisor),  there
are two kinds of  storages  which are used for  instance's  root_disk.
1) non-shared storage  on each compute nodes
2) shared storage  between compute nodes
    2.1 shared  instance_path and  root_disk  (shared everything ike NFS)
    2.2 shared  root_disk  without shared instance_path  (shared volume
backend like ceph)

Current we  check if shared storage or not  in  concrete actions like
live-migration,  evacuate,  these need pass instance as argument,
I think the value of  hared storage or not should base on compute node,
should not base on instance.
So do we need new nova configuration option to show compute nodes with
shared_storage or not ?

benefits:

   1) Don't need check for each instance while taking action
   2) Can handle similar bug easily like [1] from API level.

If yes,
some thing like, compute-node-storage-type= [ non-shared |  shared-all |
shared-volume ]  or part-shared
 In order to support some compute nodes with shared_storage, and others
doesn't in one OpenStack development,
 another configuration   shared_storage_compute_nodes =[node3, node5]

Any thoughts ?

[1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1414432

--
ChangBo Guo(gcb)