[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Plugins for Fuel: repo, doc, spec - where?

Simon Pasquier spasquier at mirantis.com
Mon Jan 26 10:46:50 UTC 2015

Hello,

I pretty much agree with Evgeniya here. Keeping everything (code, docs,
specs and tests) in the same repo is essential to keep up-to-date
information. Otherwise chances are that it will diverge eventually.
See other comments inline.

BR,

Simon

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Evgeniya Shumakher <eshumakher at mirantis.com
> wrote:

> Folks -
>
> I support the idea to keep plugins' code and other artifacts, e.g. design
> specs, installation and user guides, test scripts, test plan, test report,
> etc, in one repo, just to create dedicated folders for that.
> My argument here is pretty simple, i consider a Fuel plugin as a separate
> and independent project, which should be stored in a dedicated repo and
> maintained by the plugin development team.
>
> But i don't see why we can't use Fuel Launchpad [1] to create blueprints
> if we think it's necessary, but a BP itself shouldn't be a 'must do' for
> those who are working on Fuel plugins.
>
> And couple more comments:
>
>    1. Have a separate stackforge repo per Fuel plugin in format
>    "fuel-plugin-<name>", with separate core-reviewers group which should have
>    plugin contributor initially
>
> On stackforge.
> Right now there are 4 Fuel plugins developed (GlusterFS, NetApp, LBaaS,
> VPNaaS) and 4 more are coming (NFS, FWaaS, Contrail, EMC VNX). Keeping in
> mind that the number of Fuel plugins will grow, does it make sense to keep
> them in stackforge?
> Mike, Alexander, we discussed an option to keep everything in fuel-infra
> [3].
> I would like to hear what other folks think about that.

Sounds like a good idea to use Fuel infra. From my recent experience, the
Fuel plugin framework is easy to work with and there will probably be many
plugins adding to the list. Asking for a new repository or for access right
modifications is going to be put a burden on the OpenStack infra team if it
happens too often.

> On the repo name.
> I would suggest to add the name of OpenStack component the plugin works
> with also "fuel-plugin-<component>-<name>", e.g.
> fuel-plugin-cinder-emc-vnx.

Ok for plugins that deal with specific OpenStack services but this might
not be true for all plugins.

>    1. Have docs folder in the plugin, and ability to build docs out of it
>       - do we want Sphinx or simple Github docs format is Ok? So people
>       can just go to github/stackforge to see docs
>
> I agree with Evgeniy. We are talking about best practices of Fuel plugin
> development. I would prefer to keep them as simple and as easy as possible.

Definitely +1.