[openstack-dev] [neutron][lbaas] Object statuses

Brandon Logan brandon.logan at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Jan 23 07:21:06 UTC 2015

So I am resurrecting this topic now because we put this discussion on a a brief hold,
but are now discussing it again and need to decide asap. We've all agreed we need a
provisioning_status and operating_status fields. We now need to decide where to show
these statuses to the user.

Option 1:
Show the statuses directly on the entity.

Option 2-A:
Show a status tree only on the load balancer object, but not on any entities.

Option 2-B:
Expose a resource for a GET request that will return that status tree.

Example:
GET /lbaas/loadbalancers/{LB_UUID}/statuses

Option 1 is probably what most people are used to but it doesn't allow for sharing of
objects, and when/if sharing is enabled, it will cause a break in contract and a new
version of the API.  So it would essentially disallow object sharing.  This requires
a lot less work to implement.

Option 2-* can be done with or without sharing, and when/if object sharing is enabled
it wont break contract.  This will require more work to implement.

My personal opinion is in favor of Option 2-B, but wouldn't argue with 2-A either.

Thanks,
Brandon