[openstack-dev] [horizon] static files handling, bower/

Radomir Dopieralski openstack at sheep.art.pl
Thu Jan 22 08:48:58 UTC 2015

On 21/01/15 19:04, Matthew Farina wrote:
> Radomir, thanks for adding some clarity. I do have follow-on questions.
>
> In your example the packages are managed by xstatic. The proposal for
> horizon, as I understand it, is to move away from xstatic packages and
> instead use bower for development and system packages (for example,
> debian, rpm, and other packages) for production. Right now, we (the
> horizon community) is maintaining some of the xstatic packages. For many
> of these xstatic packages there is no corollary in a system package. Who
> will create and maintain the system packages for the JavaScript libraries?
>
> You noted that "we get maintenance and updates for free." Since the
> system packages don't exist now and we don't know who will create or
> maintain them I'm not sure how to reconcile this.
>
> What am I missing?

All of the XStatic packages had to be packaged for the respective
distributions in order to package Horizon. That was a lot of work, but
it has been done my the packagers of the distributions. As far as I
understand, most of those XStatic packages are just dummies, pointing to
the actual system-wide JavaScript packages -- XStatic has such a
capability. So while we are indeed maintaining some of the XStatic
packages for our own convenience, the packages that contain actual code
in the distributions are maintained by those distributions' packagers.

--
Radomir Dopieralski