[openstack-dev] [all] Cross-project DevRef Was Re: Skipping Cross-Project meeting today

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Jan 22 05:20:45 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Ian Cordasco <ian.cordasco at rackspace.com>
wrote:

> On 1/20/15, 21:21, "Jay Bryant" <jsbryant at electronicjungle.net> wrote:
>
> >+2  This topic had come up in Cinder I believe as well.
> >Having a common devref for common content would be good and would make it
> >easier to keep the documentation current.
> >
> >Jay
> >On Jan 20, 2015 4:05 PM, "Jay Pipes" <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >On 01/20/2015 01:30 PM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
> >On Jan 20, 2015, at 05:23, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
> >wrote:
> >
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >Given that the agenda docket is pretty slim this week, I'd like to
> >skip this cross-project meeting and have the next one on Jan 27.
> >
> >sigmavirus24 posted the "Cross-project DevRef akin to Nova's" item
> >but I'd prefer if we discussed it on the mailing-list first (not
> >certain it requires everyone's attention just yet, and could just
> >be proposed as a spec).
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >-- Thierry Carrez (ttx)

> >Hey all,
> >
> >First, let me provide some context. The week before last, an update
> >to sqlalchemy-migrate broke glance’s gate. While helping us fix the
> >problem, Matt Riedemann noticed that the project doesn’t have a
> >Developer Reference document. The document helps new developers
> >determine what system packages they need to build a development
> >environment for the project.
> >
> >We discussed the idea of putting one together for glance at the team
> >meeting last week. While discussing it, we realized a lot of the
> >steps are similar to Nova’s and it might benefit OpenStack as a whole
> >to have one common DevRef that links off to individual ones for
> >further configuration. The list of common steps could be maintained
> >in one place (rather than synchronized between projects) and then
> >individual extensions would be maintained with in each project or
> >wiki.
> >
> >Before we started duplicating content in our own document, we wanted
> >to present the idea to the cross-project team and the community as a
> >whole.
> >
> >Feedback is greatly appreciated, Ian
> >

> >I think a common shared developer reference is a great idea, Ian. ++
> >
> >-jay

> Since no one has expressed distaste for this idea. What’s the best way to
> move forward? I genuinely have no idea what the right next step is and
> would appreciate some guidance here.

One approach comes to mind. For the Infrastructure User Manual [1] to come
to life, which has a similar readership, they held a quick "sprint" with
remote work done over IRC and a repo at openstack-infra/infra-manual. [2]
You'll need to recruit a group of reviewers who can review new content as
it comes in. I'd also recommend starting with an outline and assigning
people to certain topics (especially if they've got notes already written).

I'd imagine the outline something like this:

Setting up an OpenStack development environment
-- Considerations for using DevStack
-- Considerations for using system packages
-- Understanding the architecture and components
-- Building the documentation
-- Running unit tests
-- When to use fakes
-- Internal API references
-- REST API references
-- Debugging locally
-- Debugging within continuous integration gate
Configuring a development environment for individual projects
-- <processes or policies or debugging or testing or special considerations>

Hope this helps -
Anne

1. http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/
2. https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/infra-manual