[openstack-dev] The constraints from flavor and image metadata

Tripp, Travis S travis.tripp at hp.com
Thu Jan 22 01:59:41 UTC 2015

JYH,

Are you asking for this to be a blanket rule?  It seems to me that this
could be a case by case basis, but I question making it a blanket rule.

For example, the os_shutdown_timeout property [1] seems very workload
specific. In your proposal, this would mean that the operator would have
to add that property with a max value to every single flavor in order for
it to be taken advantage of, right? Is that really the desired behavior?

Or what about the watchdog behavior (hw_watchdog_action)?  It supports an
enum of possibilities:

"disabled",                "reset",                "poweroff",
   "pause",                "none²

If the flavor provides a default value what would it even mean for an
image to specify something different?

[1](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/89650/12)

George,

Regarding constraints, you should take a look at this:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/glance/metadefs-concepts.html

Almost all of the available nova properties with constraint enforcement
can be viewed by getting a current devstack, going into horizon, and
launching the Update Metadata action on flavors / Host Aggregates, or
Images.

-Travis