[openstack-dev] [tc][python-clients] More freedom for all python clients

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 13:48:51 UTC 2015

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015, Sean Dague wrote:
>> On the pip solver side, joe gordon was working on a thing to install a
>> fixed set of packages by bypassing the pip resolver... not sure how
>> thats progressing.
>
> I think if we are talking seriously about bypassing the pip resolver, we
> should step back and think about that fact. Because now we're producting
> a custom installation process that will produce an answer for us, which
> is completely different than any answer that anyone else is getting for
> how to get a coherent system.

Agreed. Skipping the pip resolver will move OpenStack and friends further
down into a weird world of its own rather than Python norms.

If possible we should try to resolve the complexity, not bandaid the
problems caused by the complexity.

If we can't do that then per service virtualenv (or even containers)
provides a far more contained[1] bandage.

Related: I personally find it completely bewildering that things are
managed and run in such an unbounded fashion. My intuition is that
this is the result of many/most projects being on the same release
cycle and the belief that my master must integrate with your master. We
should release (far) more often and my master should integrate with your
lastest release.

[1] Oh, my sides.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent