[openstack-dev] [api] Optional Properties in an Entity

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jan 20 15:08:10 UTC 2015

On 1/20/15, 04:13, "Chris Dent" <chdent at redhat.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jan 2015, Dean Troyer wrote:
>
>> Independent of actual implementations in OpenStack, I prefer always
>> including null/empty properties here because it is slightly more
>> self-documenting.  Having spent the morning chasing down attributes for
>>an
>> API to be named at a later date by looking at server code, we do not
>>help
>> ourselves or the users of our APIs by omitting this sort of thing.
>
>+1

I’m in much the same position as Kevin. I’ve tried coming up with
reasoning for both positions but I don’t see a really compelling reason
for either side. On the one hand though, having strict schema about what
is returned can be valuable, so not allowing something to be omitted
**may** catch a bug somewhere else. Allowing things to be nullable is
perfectly reasonable to me.

It seems like a few of us are in agreement with this direction. Perhaps
one of us should write a proposal for the API-WG to review about this.

Cheers,
Ian