[openstack-dev] [glance] Replication on image create

Nikhil Komawar nikhil.komawar at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Jan 19 19:21:12 UTC 2015

Hi Boden,

It would be great to open up a BP/spec on this.

As far as the flexibility of adding scripts to tasks is concerned, there are 2 points to be considered:

1. Glance will maintain a _published_ list of acceptable tasks. Meaning, it would be documented somewhere that a task of type "A" would work with glance and how to _extend_ it as per deployer use-case. Currently, 3 types namely, import, export and clone tasks have been approved. Clone could fit into your usecase depending on the location where you need the data copied.
2. We are planning to merge "TaskFlow" executor [0] in k2 (or k3) that will enable extending the flows of the tasks.

It would be best if we can discuss this on the spec to keep stuff documented.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/130076

Thanks,
-Nikhil

From: Boden Russell [bodenvmw at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 9:39 AM
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [glance] Replication on image create

> On 1/15/15 12:59 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> All that being said, it'd be very nice if you could open a spec on
> this topic so we can discuss over the spec review and one of us (or
> you) can implement it if we reach consensus.

I'll create a BP + spec; doing a little homework now...

W / R / T the async task plugins -- are there plans to make the task
definitions more pluggable? Based on what I see right now it appears the
definitions are static[1].

I was expecting to see the list of "applicable" tasks to be defined via
stevedore entry points or via conf file properties.

e.g.
[entry_points]
glance.async.tasks =
        import = glance.common.scripts.image_import
        replicate = glance.common.scripts.image_repl
        # etc...

Perhaps there's already a BP on this topic, but I didn't find one.

Thanks

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/glance/blob/master/glance/domain/__init__.py#L316