[openstack-dev] [magnum][nova][ironic] Magnum Milestone #2 blueprints - request for comments

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 04:19:16 UTC 2015

On 01/18/2015 11:02 PM, Steven Dake wrote:
> On 01/18/2015 07:59 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:

>>> We can just use flannel for both these use cases.  One way to approach
>>> using flannel is that we can expect docker networks will always be setup
>>> the same way, connecting into a flannel network.
>>
>> Note that the README on the Magnum GH repository states that one of
>> the features of Magnum is its use of Neutron:
>>
>> "Integration with Neutron for k8s multi-tenancy network security."
>>
>> Is this not true?
>>
> Jay,
>
> We do integrate today with Neutron for multi-tenant network security.
> Flannel runs on top of Neutron networks using vxlan. Neutron provides
> multi-tenant security; Flannel provides container networking.  Together,
> they solve the multi-tenant container networking problem in a secure way.

Gotcha. That makes sense, now.

> Its a shame these two technologies can't be merged at this time, but we
> will roll with it until someone invents an integration.

>>> I am not clear on how to handle native Docker scheduling if a bay has
>>> more then one node.  I keep hoping someone in the community will propose
>>> something that doesn't introduce an agent dependency in the OS.
>>
>> So, perhaps because I've not been able to find any documentation for
>> Magnum besides the README (the link to developers docs is a 404), I
>> have quite a bit of confusion around what value Magnum brings to the
>> OpenStack ecosystem versus a tenant just installing Kubernetes on one
>> of more of their VMs and managing container resources using k8s directly.
>>
> Agree documentation is dearth at this point.  The only thing we really
> have at  this time is the developer guide here:
> https://github.com/stackforge/magnum/blob/master/doc/source/dev/dev-quickstart.rst
>
> Installing Kubernetes in one or more of their VMs would also work with
> kubernetes.  In fact, you can do this easily today with larsks
> heat-kubernetes Heat template which we shamelessly borrowed without
> magnum at all.
>
> We do intend to offer bare metal deployment of kubernetes as well, which
> should offer a significant I/O performance advantage, which is after all
> what cloud services are all about.
>
> Of course someone could just deploy kubernetes themselves on bare metal,
> but there isn't at this time an integrated tool to provide
> "Kubernetes-installation-as-a-service" endpoint.  Magnum does that job
> today right now on master.  I suspect it can and will do more as we get
> past our 2 month mark of development ;)

Ha! No worries, Steven. :) Heck, I have enough trouble just keeping up
with the firehose of information about new container-related stuffs that
I'm well impressed with the progress that the container team has made so
far. I just wish I had ten more hours a day to read and research more on
the topic!

>> Is the goal of Magnum to basically be like Trove is for databases and
>> be a Kubernetes-installation-as-a-Service endpoint?
>>
> I believe that is how the project vision started out.  I'm not clear on
> the long term roadmap - I suspect there is alot more value that can be
> added in.  Some of these things, like manually or automatically scaling
> the infrastructure show some of our future plans.  I'd appreciate your
> suggestions.

Well, when I wrap my brain around more of the container technology, I
will certainly try and provide some feedback! :)

Best,
-jay