[openstack-dev] [magnum][nova][ironic] Magnum Milestone #2 blueprints - request for comments

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 02:59:15 UTC 2015

On 01/18/2015 11:11 AM, Steven Dake wrote:
> On 01/18/2015 06:39 AM, Jay Lau wrote:
>> Thanks Steven, just some questions/comments here:
>>
>> 1) For native docker support, do we have some project to handle the
>> network? The current native docker support did not have any logic for
>> network management, are we going to leverage neutron or nova-network
>> just like nova-docker for this?
> We can just use flannel for both these use cases.  One way to approach
> using flannel is that we can expect docker networks will always be setup
> the same way, connecting into a flannel network.

Note that the README on the Magnum GH repository states that one of the
features of Magnum is its use of Neutron:

"Integration with Neutron for k8s multi-tenancy network security."

Is this not true?

>> 2) For k8s, swarm, we can leverage the scheduler in those container
>> management tools, but what about docker native support? How to handle
>> resource scheduling for native docker containers?
>>
> I am not clear on how to handle native Docker scheduling if a bay has
> more then one node.  I keep hoping someone in the community will propose
> something that doesn't introduce an agent dependency in the OS.

So, perhaps because I've not been able to find any documentation for
Magnum besides the README (the link to developers docs is a 404), I have
quite a bit of confusion around what value Magnum brings to the
OpenStack ecosystem versus a tenant just installing Kubernetes on one of
more of their VMs and managing container resources using k8s directly.

Is the goal of Magnum to basically be like Trove is for databases and be
a Kubernetes-installation-as-a-Service endpoint?

Thanks in advance for more info on the project. I'm genuinely curious.

Best,
-jay