[openstack-dev] [horizon] static files handling, bower/

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Jan 16 16:08:51 UTC 2015

> On Jan 15, 2015, at 7:27 PM, Michael Krotscheck <krotscheck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think Oracle's got enough money to support Node.js on SPARC.
>
> How is money relevant here?
>
> Well, normally the argument I've received is "We don't have the time/resources/insert-other-fiscally-motivated-reason to support/work on node". Ergo, money. But then, given Oracle's conduct around the whole Java ridiculousness I'm not exactly favorably disposed towards anything or anyone associated with them. They'd get a lot more respect if they open-sourced Solaris.
>
> Which actually reminds me of something: Infra only tests against Debian, CentOS, and Fedora. It does not test Solaris. So, no offense, but I don't care about your SPARC servers.
>
> ... that Node.js is an issue because we can not use it.  Not because we
> don't WANT to use it.  This is an important distinction that you seem to
> have missed.
>
> I haven't missed it, I just made the assumption that if someone wants to use a tool, they would be busy porting that tool rather than arguing on a list about it.
>
> Case and point: I wanted to use javascript in OpenStack Infra, so I did a ton of legwork to bring node, npm, bower, karma, jasmine, protractor, and grunt into the infra toolchain.
>
> > So let me reframe this argument a bit: If you refuse to allow us
> > frontend developers to use node, npm, and bower, then I expect you to
> > reciprocate and no longer use the python executable or pip to write your
> > code, and you can only debug using wsgi. Since those fill equivalent
> > roles in our various languages-du-jour, it seems like a perfectly fair
> > exchange. Deal?
>
> I'm sorry, what?  Python is fully supported on Solaris (both x86 and
> SPARC).  This discussion has nothing whatsoever to do with the
> 'language-du-jour'.
>
> It has everything to do with it: There are javascript engineers that want to use their tools, just like there are python engineers that want to user their tools. You're saying we can't use javascript tools because of SPARC's lack of support. I'm merely asking that our python engineers reciprocate and abandon your own tools out of solidarity. After all, we're all in this together, right?

We are, and as this conversation has veered off in a destructive direction, I think we should back up and look at the compromise Radomir posted [1] to see if that solves the original technical problem we all have.

Does having the requirements specified in a JSON file, without requiring a specific build tool to install the files, solve the packaging, testing, and deployment issue on platforms where node.js isn’t supported natively right now?

Doug

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-January/054538.html