[openstack-dev] [nova][gate][stable] How eventlet 0.16.1 broke the gate

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jan 15 16:07:54 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-15 08:44:58 -0500 (-0500), Sean Dague wrote:
[...]
> The other thing that happened was partial capping doesn't work,
> because something else moves forward and breaks you from below. So
> the patch will need to hit everything at once.

Right, and we _have_ to start using stable branches on all
clients/libraries to backport fixes as part of that. This means that
the stable branch management workflow is about to become pervasive
across some teams who were previously (blissfully?) ignorant of it.

> Unresolved entirely is the tertiary dependencies (not direct
> dependencies of any OpenStack project). That will need another
> mechanism to seed them before any installation happens.
[...]

I won't go so far as to call it intractable, but I took a stab at it
about a year ago and building the dependency graph properly to be
able to do a depth-first ordering is nontrivial (enough that after
about a week hacking on possible solutions I gave up and switched to
more productive tasks). The primary complications I ran into were
identifying setup_requires in transitive dependencies and dealing
with platform/version-specific dependencies. That said, there's a
very good chance that more recent improvements in setuptools, pip
and virtualenv could make this task easier.

> That's the things I can think off from the top of my head.

The implementation, from a devstack-gate perspective, is also going
to require a decision on whether we stick with stable/relname for
branches of libraries too or switch to some extended branch mapping
mechanism to be able to track stable/relnum branches for those. And
we're going to need more jobs to ensure that clients (specifically)
retain backward-compatibility from an appdev and end user
perspective since they'll no longer get any testing as server
dependencies on stable branches (due to being capped there).
--
Jeremy Stanley