[openstack-dev] [horizon] static files handling, bower/

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:49:13 UTC 2015

> > Solaris is supported by node.js:
>
> x86 is certainly supported.  Always has been.  That's not the issue in
> question.  My point was that SPARC is not supported.

I think Oracle's got enough money to support Node.js on SPARC.

> I think Solaris is no longer relevant
>
> I won't stoop to comment on this statement other than to say Solaris
> is quite relevant to Oracle, Oracle's customers and Oracle's partners.

I won't stop to comment on this statement other than to say Javascript is
quite relevant to Oracle, Oracle's customers, and Oracle's partners.

Your argument is a boondoggle. Refusing to use node because your favorite
platform doesn't support it is not the fault of node.js, it's the fault of
the platform.

Don't get me wrong: Node.js run as a server is a horrible, horrible idea,
and I *like* javascript. But then, running PHP3 on a server is *also* a
horrible, horrible idea, but that didn't really stop anyone 15 years ago.
The same goes for lots of other languages.

So let me reframe this argument a bit: If you refuse to allow us frontend
developers to use node, npm, and bower, then I expect you to reciprocate
and no longer use the python executable or pip to write your code, and you
can only debug using wsgi. Since those fill equivalent roles in our various
languages-du-jour, it seems like a perfectly fair exchange. Deal?

Michael