[openstack-dev] [Glance] IRC logging

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 12:59:06 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:32:23PM +0000, Kuvaja, Erno wrote:
> I think the major benefits of this defined audience are:
> 1) One does not need to express themselves in a way that is for public.
> ( Misunderstandings can be corrected on the fly if needed. ) There is no
> need to explain to anyone reading the logs what you actually meant during
> the conversation month ago.
>
> 2) there is level of confidentiality within that defined audience. (
> For example someone not familiar with the processes thinks they have
> found security vulnerability and comes to the IRC-channel to ask second
> opinion. Those details are not public and that bug can still be raised
> and dealt properly. Once the discussion is logged and the logs are
> publicly available the details are publicly available as well. )
> 3) That defined audience does not usually limit content. I have no
> problem to throw my e-mail address, phone number etc. into the channel,
> I would not yell them out publicly.

[snip]

> The channels are not locked so anyone can keep a client online and log
> it for themselves if they feel need for it and lots of people do so.

And any of those people can easily just publish their IRC logs on the
web at any time. So the 3 supposed advantages of non-logging your list
above are simply a facade that don't really exist.

I've been half inclined to setup an IRC bot to log all the openstack
channels myself, precisely because only some of the OpenStack channels
are officially logged.

Fundamentally IRC is a completely open public forum and should be
treated as such, whether logged or not, because you have to assume
any 3rd party could be publishing logs at any time.

Regards,
Daniel