[openstack-dev] [Heat] Where to keep data about stack breakpoints?

Ton Ngo ton at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 13 00:15:59 UTC 2015

    I was also thinking of using the environment to hold the breakpoint,
similarly to parameters.  The CLI and API would process it just like
parameters.

   As for the state of a stack hitting the breakpoint, leveraging the
FAILED state seems to be sufficient, we just need to add enough information
to differentiate between a failed resource and a resource at a breakpoint.
Something like emitting an event or a message should be enough to make that
distinction.   Debugger for native program typically does the same thing,
leveraging the exception handling in the OS by inserting an artificial
error at the breakpoint to force a program to stop.  Then the debugger
would just remember the address of these artificial errors to decode the
state of the stopped program.

   As for the workflow, instead of spinning in the scheduler waiting for a
signal, I was thinking of moving the stack off the engine as a failed
stack. So this would be an end-state for the stack as Steve suggested, but
without adding a new stack state.   Again, this is similar to how a program
being debugged is handled:  they are moved off the ready queue and their
context is preserved for examination.  This seems to keep the
implementation simple and we don't have to worry about timeout,
performance, etc.  Continuing from the breakpoint then should be similar to
stack-update on a failed stack.  We do need some additional handling, such
as allowing resource in-progress to run to completion instead of aborting.

    For the parallel paths in a template, I am thinking about these
alternatives:
1. Stop after all the current in-progress resources complete, but do not
start any new resources even if there is no dependency.  This should be
easier to implement, but the state of the stack would be non-deterministic.
2. Stop only the paths with the breakpoint, continue all other parallel
paths to completion.  This seems harder to implement, but the stack would
be in a deterministic state and easier for the user to reason with.

   To be compatible with convergence, I had suggested to Clint earlier to
add a mode where the convergence engine does not attempt to retry so the
user can debug, and I believe this was added to the blueprint.

Ton,