[openstack-dev] [Heat] Where to keep data about stack breakpoints?

Tomas Sedovic tsedovic at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 15:29:15 UTC 2015

Hey folks,

I did a quick proof of concept for a part of the Stack Breakpoint
spec[1] and I put the "does this resource have a breakpoint" flag into
the metadata of the resource:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/146123/

I'm not sure where this info really belongs, though. It does sound like
metadata to me (plus we don't have to change the database schema that
way), but can we use it for breakpoints etc., too? Or is metadata
strictly for Heat users and not for engine-specific stuff?

I also had a chat with Steve Hardy and he suggested adding a STOPPED
state to the stack (this isn't in the spec). While not strictly
necessary to implement the spec, this would help people figure out that
the stack has reached a breakpoint instead of just waiting on a resource
that takes a long time to finish (the heat-engine log and event-list
still show that a breakpoint was reached but I'd like to have it in
stack-list and resource-list, too).

It makes more sense to me to call it PAUSED (we're not completely
stopping the stack creation after all, just pausing it for a bit), I'll
let Steve explain why that's not the right choice :-).

Tomas

[1]:
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/heat-specs/specs/juno/stack-breakpoint.html