[openstack-dev] [nova][NFV][qa] Testing NUMA, CPU pinning and large pages

Vladik Romanovsky vladik.romanovsky at enovance.com
Mon Jan 12 02:02:32 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

Following Steve Gordon's email [1], regarding CI for NUMA, SR-IOV, and other
features, I'd like to start a discussion about the NUMA testing in
particular.

Recently we have started a work to test some of these features.
The current plan is to use the functional tests, in the Nova tree, to
exercise
the code paths for NFV use cases. In general, these will contain tests
to cover various scenarios regarding NUMA, CPU pinning, large pages and
validate a correct placement/scheduling.

In addition to the functional tests in Nova, we have also proposed two basic
scenarios in Tempest [2][3]. One to make sure that an instance can boot
with a
minimal NUMA configuration (a topology that every host should have) and
one that would request an "impossible" topology and fail with an expected
exception.

This work doesn't eliminate the need of testing on a real hardware, however,
these tests should provide coverage for the features that are currently
being
submitted upstream and hopefully be a good starting point for future
testing.

Thoughts?

Vladik

[1]