[openstack-dev] [devstack] noVNC disabled by default?

Solly Ross sross at redhat.com
Fri Jan 9 23:12:10 UTC 2015

Hi,
I just noticed that noVNC was disabled by default in devstack (the relevant
change was
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/140860/).

Now, if I understand correctly (based on the short commit message), the
rationale is that we don't want devstack to reply on non-OpenStack Git
repos, so that devstack doesn't fail when some external Git hosting
service (e.g. GitHub) goes down.

This is all fine and dandy (and a decent idea, IMO), but this leaves devstack
installing a "broken" installation of Horizon by default -- Horizon still
attempts to show the noVNC console when you go to the "console" tab for an
instance, which is a bit confusing, initially.  Now, it wasn't particularly
hard to track not particularly hard to track down *why* this happened (hmm...
my stackrc seems to be missing "n-novnc" in ENABLED_SERVICES.  Go-go-gadget
`git blame`), but it strikes me as a bit inconsistent and inconvenient.

Personally, I would like to see noVNC back as a default service, since it
can be useful when trying to see what your VM is actually doing during
boot, or if you're having network issues.  Is there anything I can do
as a noVNC maintainer to help?

We (the noVNC team) do publish releases, and I've been trying to make
sure that they happen in a more timely fashion.  In the past, it was necessary
to use Git master to ensure that you got the latest version (there was a
2-year gap between 0.4 and 0.5!), but I'm trying to change that.  Currently,
it would appear that most of the distros are still using the old version (0.4),
but versions 0.5 and 0.5.1 are up on GitHub as release tarballs (0.5 being a 3
months old and 0.5.1 having been tagged a couple weeks ago).  I will attempt to
work with distro maintainers to get the packages updated.  However, in the mean
time, is there a place would be acceptable to place the releases so that devstack
can install them?

Best Regards,
Solly Ross