[openstack-dev] [horizon] packaging problem production build question

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Fri Jan 9 11:15:41 UTC 2015

On 08/01/15 23:46, Matthew Farina wrote:
> Thanks for humoring me as I ask these questions. I'm just trying to
> connect the dots.
>
> How would system packages work in practice? For example, when it comes
> to ubuntu lucid (10.04 LTS) there is no system package meeting the
> jQuery requirement and for precise (12.04 LTS) you need
> precise-backports. This is for the most popular JavaScript library.
> There is only an angular package for trusty (14.04 LTS) and the version
> is older than the horizon minimum.
>
> private-bower would be a nice way to have a private registry. But, bower
> packages aren't packages in the same sense as system or pypi packages.
> If I understand it correctly, when bower downloads something it doesn't
> get it from the registry (bower.io <http://bower.io> or private-bower).
> Instead it goes to the source (e.g., Github) to download the code.
> private-bower isn't a package mirror but instead a private registry (of
> location). How could private-bower be used to negate network effects if
> you still need to go out to the Internet to get the packages?

For a deployment, you want updates, often installed automatically.

Your repository providing your horizon package needs to provide required
dependencies as well.

I wouldn't recommend to use bower. In some environments, it's not
allowed to use third party repositories at all. A test environment
should match a possible production environment, where it can. This one
is quite easy.

Matthias