[openstack-dev] The scope of OpenStack wiki [all]

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Jan 8 18:31:24 UTC 2015

hello folks,

TL;DR Many wiki pages and categories are maintained elsewhere and to
avoid confusion to newcomers we need to agree on a new scope for the
wiki. A suggestion below is to limit its scope to content that doesn't
need/want peer-review and is not hosted elsewhere (no duplication).

The wiki served for many years the purpose of 'poor man CMS' when we
didn't have an easy way to collaboratively create content. So the wiki
ended up hosting pages like 'Getting started with OpenStack', demo
videos, How to contribute, mission, to document our culture / shared
understandings (4 opens, release cycle, use of blueprints, stable branch
policy...), to maintain the list of Programs, meetings/teams, blueprints
and specs, lots of random documentation and more.

Lots of the content originally placed on the wiki was there because
there was no better place. Now that we have more mature content and
processes, these are finding their way out of the wiki like:

      * http://governance.openstack.org
      * http://specs.openstack.org
      * http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/

Also, the Introduction to OpenStack is maintained on
www.openstack.org/software/ together with introductory videos and other
basic material. A redesign of openstack.org/community and the new portal
groups.openstack.org are making even more wiki pages obsolete.

This makes the wiki very confusing to newcomers and more likely to host
conflicting information.

I would propose to restrict the scope of the wiki to things that
anything that don't need or want to be peer-reviewed. Things like:

  * agendas for meetings, sprints, etc
  * list of etherpads for summits
  * quick prototypes of new programs (mentors, upstream training) before
they find a stable home (which can still be the wiki)

Also, documentation for contributors and users should not be on the
wiki, but on docs.openstack.org (where it can be found more easily).

If nobody objects, I'll start by proposing a new home page design and
start tagging content that may be moved elsewhere.

/stef