[openstack-dev] [TripleO] default region name

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Jan 8 16:10:14 UTC 2015

On 01/08/2015 06:38 AM, Zhou, Zhenzan wrote:
> Thank you, Derek.
> So we could also change TripleO register-endpoint/setup-endpoint to use "RegionOne".

Our policy in TripleO is to use project defaults whenever possible, in
the interest of making sure our project defaults are sane for all users.
 If we find one that's bad we want to push for a fix in the project
rather than fixing it "downstream" in TripleO.

That said, this is a tricky situation.  As noted in the Keystone review,
changing the default for the region has the potential to break existing
users of the client.  If we're going to change the default we need a
deprecation cycle to give people notice that their stuff is going to
break.  I do think it's something we should do though, because the
mismatch in defaults between the Keystone client and other clients is
also a problem, and arguably a bigger one since it will cause issues for
all new users, who are least likely to be able to figure out why they
can't talk to their cloud.

So I would prefer not to change this in TripleO and instead proceed on
rationalizing the defaults in the clients.  Step one seems to be picking
a common default and adding deprecation warnings to any client not
currently using that default.

-Ben