[openstack-dev] [Octavia] Questions about the Octavia project

Andrew Hutchings andrew at linuxjedi.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 19:41:36 UTC 2015

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for taking the time to write both responses.

> On 7 Jan 2015, at 19:27, Stephen Balukoff <sbalukoff at bluebox.net> wrote:
>
> I think we defaulted to JSON because it's a well-understood way of serializing data for use in a RESTful interface. I'm not familiar with protobufs, and am willing to hear you out on reasons we should use it instead of JSON-- but do note that what you're seeing is the result of some hard-won compromises after extensive discussion, and we're *finally* (after several months of this) getting to the point where we can divide-and-conquer on this problem because we're achieving clarity and consensus on what the components should be and how they should interface. We're going to be resistant to changing certain details precisely because we don't want to re-open cans of worms that we're just now getting sealed shut-- so unless you've got some *really* compelling reasons here, we're unlikely to want to change things at this juncture.

I’ve pretty much summarised the reasons here at the following URL but I understand the reasons for sticking with JSON: http://linuxjedi.co.uk/posts/2014/Oct/31/why-json-is-bad-for-applications/

Kind Regards
--
Andrew Hutchings - LinuxJedi - http://www.linuxjedi.co.uk/