[openstack-dev] [oslo] Progress of the port to Python 3

victor stinner victor.stinner at enovance.com
Tue Jan 6 16:51:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm still working on porting OpenStack to Python 3. I'm fixing Python 3 issues in eventlet and I'm trying to replace eventlet with trollius in OpenStack. Two different and complementary ways to port OpenStack to Python 3.

I fixed some eventlet issues related to Python 3 and monkey-patching. My changes are part of eventlet 0.16 which was released the 2014-12-30. I tried this version with Oslo Messaging: with another fix in eventlet (threading.Condition) and a change in the zmq driver, only 3 tests are now failing (which is a great success for me).

See my Oslo Messaging change for more information:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/145241/

It looks like eventlet 0.16 works much better with Python 3 and monkey-patching. You should try it on your own project! Tell me if you need help to fix issues.

--

About asyncio, I renamed my "aiogreen" project to "aioeventlet" (to make it more explicit that it is specific to eventlet). With the release 0.4, the API is now considered as stable.
http://aioeventlet.readthedocs.org/

Mehdi Abaakouk voted +2 on my Oslo Messaging patches to support trollius coroutines using aioeventlet project, but it looks that he's alone to review Oslo Messaging patches :-/ Anyway to approve my changes?

* Add an optional executor callback to dispatcher
  https://review.openstack.org/136652
* Add a new aioeventlet executor
  https://review.openstack.org/136653

By the way, my review to add aioeventlet dependency also waits for a review:

* Add aioeventlet dependency
  https://review.openstack.org/138750

Victor Stinner