[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Image based provisioning

Andrew Woodward xarses at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 00:51:50 UTC 2015

Here is a list of the issues I ran into using IBP before the 23rd. 5
appears to not be merged yet and must be resolved prior to making IBP
the default as you can't restart a provisioned node.

1. a full cobbler template is generated for the IBP node, if you
wanted to re-prov the node, you would have to erase the cobbler
profile, bootstrap and call the node provision api. If you forced it
back to netboot (which can be done with installer methods) it loads
the installer instead of the bootstrap image

2. We need to be careful when considering removing cobbler from fuel,
its still being used in IBP to manage dnsmasq (dhcp lease for
fuelweb_admin iface) and bootp/PXE loading profiles

3. After a time all DNS names for nodes expire (ssh node-1 -> Could
not resolve hostname) even though they are still in cobbler (cobbler
system list)

4. fuel-agent log is not in logs UI

5. image based nodes won't set up network after first boot
https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1398207

6 image based nodes are basically impossible to read network settings
on unless you know everything about cloud-init

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Vladimir Kozhukalov
<vkozhukalov at mirantis.com> wrote:
> In case of image based we need either to update image or run "yum
> update/apt-get upgrade" right after first boot (second option partly
> devalues advantages of image based scheme). Besides, we are planning to
> re-implement image build script so as to be able to build images on a master
> node (but unfortunately 6.1 is not a real estimate for that).
>
> Vladimir Kozhukalov
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 5:03 AM, Mike Scherbakov <mscherbakov at mirantis.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Dmitry,
>> as part of 6.1 roadmap, we are going to work on patching feature.
>> There are two types of workflow to consider:
>> - patch existing environment (already deployed nodes, aka "target" nodes)
>> - ensure that new nodes, added to the existing and already patched envs,
>> will install updated packages too.
>>
>> In case of anakonda/preseed install, we can simply update repo on master
>> node and run createrepo/etc. What do we do in case of image? Will we need a
>> separate repo alongside with main one, "updates" repo - and do
>> post-provisioning "yum update" to fetch all patched packages?
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:09 PM, Andrey Danin <adanin at mirantis.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Adding Mellanox team explicitly.
>>>
>>> Gil, Nurit, Aviram, can you confirm that you tested that feature? It can
>>> be enabled on every fresh ISO. You just need to enable the Experimental mode
>>> (please, see the documentation for instructions).

>>> --
>>> Andrey Danin
>>> adanin at mirantis.com
>>> skype: gcon.monolake