[openstack-dev] [horizon] static files handling, bower/

Radomir Dopieralski openstack at sheep.art.pl
Mon Jan 5 08:57:52 UTC 2015

On 05/01/15 00:35, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon Dec 22 2014 at 8:24:03 PM Radomir Dopieralski
> <openstack at sheep.art.pl <mailto:openstack at sheep.art.pl>> wrote:
>
>     On 20/12/14 21:25, Richard Jones wrote:
>     > This is a good proposal, though I'm unclear on how the
>     > static_settings.py file is populated by a developer (as opposed to a
>     > packager, which you described).
>
>     It's not, the developer version is included in the repository, and
>     simply points to where Bower is configured to put the files.
> So just to be clear, as developers we:
>
> 1. have a bower.json listing the bower component to use,
> 2. use bower to fetch and install those to the bower_components
> directory at the top level of the Horizon repos checkout, and
> 3. manually edit static_settings.py when we add a new bower component to
> bower.json so it knows the appropriate static files to load from that
> component.
>
> Is that correct?
>
> The above will increase the burden on those adding or upgrading bower
> components (they'll need to check the bower.json in the component for
> the appropriate static files to link in) but will make life easier for
> the re-packagers since they'll know which files they need to cater for
> in static_settings.py

Well, I expect you can tell Bower to put the files somewhere else than
in the root directory of the project -- a directory like ``bower_files``
or something (that directory is also added to ``.gitignore`` so that you
don't commit it by mistake). Then only that directory needs to be added
to the ``static_settings.py``. Of course, you still need to make all the
``<script>`` links in appropriate places with the right URLs, but you
would have to do that anyways.

Let's look at an example. Suppose you need to a new JavaScript library
called "hipster.js". You add it to the ``bower.json`` file, and run
Bower. Bower downloads the right files and does whatever it is that it
does to them, and puts them in  ``bower_files/hipster-js``. Now you edit
Horizon's templates and add ``<script src="{{ STATIC_URL
}}/hipster-js/hipster.js">`` to ``_scripts.html``. That's it for you.
Since your ``static_settings.py`` file already has a line:

  ('', os.path.join(BASE_DIR, '/bower_files')),

in it, it will just work.

Now, suppose that a packager wants to package this for, say, Debian. And
suppose that Debian has "hipster.js" packaged, except it was called
"bro.js" before, and they left the old name for compatibility reasons.
He will look at the change history to the ``bower.json`` and the
``_scripts.html`` files, take the ``static_settings.py`` file for his
distribution, and add a line:

  ('hipster-js/hipster.js', '/usr/lib/js_libraries/bro_js/bro.js'),

--
Radomir Dopieralski