[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Adding vendor drivers in Ironic

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sat Feb 28 17:58:24 UTC 2015

I'm not sure I understand your statement Gary. If Ironic defines
what is effectively a plugin API, and the vendor drivers are careful
to utilize that API properly, the two sets of code can be released
entirely independent of one another. This is how modules work in the
kernel, X.org drivers work, and etc. etc. Of course, vendors could be
irresponsible and break compatibility with older releases of Ironic,
but that is not in their best interest, so I don't see why anybody would
need to tightly couple.

As far as where generic code goes, that seems obvious: it all has to go
into Ironic and be hidden behind the plugin API.

Excerpts from Gary Kotton's message of 2015-02-28 09:28:55 -0800:
> Hi,
> There are pros and cons for what you have mentioned. My concern, and I mentioned them with the neutron driver decomposition, is that we are are loosing the community inputs and contributions. Yes, one can certainly move faster and freer (which is a huge pain point in the community). How are generic code changes percolated to your repo? Do you have an automatic CI that detects this? Please note that when itonic release you will need to release your repo so that the relationship is 1:1...
> Thanks
> Gary
>
> From: Ramakrishnan G <rameshg87.openstack at gmail.com<mailto:rameshg87.openstack at gmail.com>>
> Date: Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 8:28 AM
> To: OpenStack List <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>>
> Subject: [openstack-dev] [Ironic] Adding vendor drivers in Ironic
>

> Hello All,
>
> This is about adding vendor drivers in Ironic.
>
> In Kilo, we have many vendor drivers getting added in Ironic which is a very good thing.  But something I noticed is that, most of these reviews have lots of hardware-specific code in them.  This is something most of the other Ironic folks cannot understand unless they go and read the hardware manuals of the vendor hardware about what is being done.  Otherwise we just need to blindly mark the file as reviewed.
>
> Now let me pitch in with our story about this.  We added a vendor driver for HP Proliant hardware (the *ilo drivers in Ironic).  Initially we proposed this same thing in Ironic that we will add all the hardware specific code in Ironic itself under the directory drivers/modules/ilo.  But few of the Ironic folks didn't agree on this (Devananda especially who is from my company :)). So we created a new module proliantutils, hosted in our own github and recently moved it to stackforge.  We gave a limited set of APIs for Ironic to use - like get_host_power_status(), set_host_power(), get_one_time_boot(), set_one_time_boot(), etc. (Entire list is here https://github.com/stackforge/proliantutils/blob/master/proliantutils/ilo/operations.py<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_stackforge_proliantutils_blob_master_proliantutils_ilo_operations.py&d=AwMFaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=VlZxHpZBmzzkWT5jqz9JYBk8YTeq9N3-diTlNj4GyNc&m=m5_FxZnmz3cyIvavSV
 DImH6xLR79L-svbcYKkjdcnb8&s=fjlOB2ORYcne-cyYnZJO8bdpi4J8rbfCAbmciPllmFI&e=>).