[openstack-dev] [stable][all] Revisiting the 6 month release cycle [metrics]

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Feb 27 10:52:50 UTC 2015

On 02/26/2015 05:41 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 15:58 -0600, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
>> One thing that comes to mind is that there are a lot of reviews that
>> appear to have been abandoned; I just cleared several from the
>> novaclient review queue (or commented on them to see if they were still
>> alive).  I also know of a few novaclient changes that are waiting for
>> corresponding nova changes before they can be merged.  Could these be
>> introducing a skew factor?
>
> Maybe, depending on how many they are and how old are we talking about.
> How much cruft is there? Maybe the fact that we don't autoabandon
> anymore is a relevant factor?
>
> Looking at Nova time to merge (not the client, since clients are not
> analyzed individually), the median is over 10 days (the mean wait is
> 29). But if you look at the trends of time to way for reviewers, they've
> been trending down for 3 quarters in a row (both, average and median)
> while time to wait for submitter is trending up.
>
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/activity-board/plain/reports/2014-q4/pdf/projects/nova.pdf
>
> Does it make sense to purge old stuff regularly so we have a better
> overview? Or maybe we should chart a distribution of age of proposed
> changesets, too in order to get a better understanding of where the
> outliers are?

We already purge old stuff that's unmergable (no activity in > 4 weeks
with either a core -2 or Jenkins -1). The last purge was about 4 weeks
ago. So effectively abandoned code isn't in the system.

The merge conflict detector will also mean that all patches eventually
get a Jenkins -1 if they aren't maintained. So you should consider
everything in the system active for some definition.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net