[openstack-dev] [stable][all] Revisiting the 6 month release cycle [metrics]

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Feb 26 22:41:54 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 15:58 -0600, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
> One thing that comes to mind is that there are a lot of reviews that
> appear to have been abandoned; I just cleared several from the
> novaclient review queue (or commented on them to see if they were still
> alive).  I also know of a few novaclient changes that are waiting for
> corresponding nova changes before they can be merged.  Could these be
> introducing a skew factor?

Maybe, depending on how many they are and how old are we talking about.
How much cruft is there? Maybe the fact that we don't autoabandon
anymore is a relevant factor?

Looking at Nova time to merge (not the client, since clients are not
analyzed individually), the median is over 10 days (the mean wait is
29). But if you look at the trends of time to way for reviewers, they've
been trending down for 3 quarters in a row (both, average and median)
while time to wait for submitter is trending up.

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/activity-board/plain/reports/2014-q4/pdf/projects/nova.pdf

Does it make sense to purge old stuff regularly so we have a better
overview? Or maybe we should chart a distribution of age of proposed
changesets, too in order to get a better understanding of where the
outliers are?

/stef