[openstack-dev] [all] Re-evaluating the suitability of the 6 month release cycle

Ritesh Raj Sarraf rrs at researchut.com
Thu Feb 26 15:49:26 UTC 2015

On 02/26/2015 07:06 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:
> I think you've nailed where the disconnect is between the two sides of this issue: what exactly do we see OpenStack being? You brought up several Linux vendors who ship on a longish cycle, and who provide LTS for their releases. But Linux itself is on no such cycle, nor does it provide long term anything.

But Linux is one monolith project.

> OpenStack can't be all things to all people. Following the Linux analogy, we need a few companies who want to become OpenStack distributors, packagers, and supporters, in the manner of RedHat, Canonical, etc., are for Linux. As a development project, we need to be able to move fluidly, and the release cycle deadlines and freezes get in the way of that. As a packager and distributor, the release cycle scheduler *helps* immeasurably. We can't be both.

I am fairly new to OpenStack, but from what I've ascertained so far,
there are, now, individual sub-releases of individual projects. That
could be a difficult task for any Linux vendor, to distribute.

There's one project, Calibre - EBook Management Software, that does
weekly releases. But again, it is easy for them, because they are a
single controlled project.

For something big as OpenStack, IMO, close co-ordination is needed.