[openstack-dev] [oslo] syslog, oslo-incubator, and Juno

John Stanford john at solinea.com
Thu Feb 26 16:22:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

I’m trying to understand the path of a series of issues I’ve been interested in for some time.  Hopefully, someone can spend a few minutes to educate me on the state of affairs, how/when incubation code might make it to the main project.

The bugs in question are:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.log/+bug/1076466 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.log/+bug/1076466> - this is the bug that identifies that restarting syslog breaks openstack APIs.  It appears to be rooted in an eventlet issue, and the commentary suggests (rightly) that a fix should be sought in the eventlet code rather than in oslo.log.  Unfortunately, it looks like no such fix is forthcoming.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.log/+bug/1385295 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.log/+bug/1385295> - this was a bug introduced in Juno that completely broke syslog messaging from Openstack.  It has a long series of attempts at resolution and is recently active, but to date, has no fix has been accepted.
Finally, in oslo-incubator, there is an accepted and merged change to revert the commit that broke syslog:  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/133638/ <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/133638/>

My questions are:
Why wasn’t the commit that closes 1385295 by reverting the original change submitted against oslo.log?
Is it possible to make Juno work today with use_syslog=True, or is Juno a lost cause in that respect?
How/when does oslo-incubator code get merged to the main oslo codebase?  Specifically, when could we expect to see the 133638 commit patched into oslo.log?

Thanks in advance...

Regards,
John