[openstack-dev] [neutron] OpenFlow security groups (pre-benchmarking plan)

Miguel Ángel Ajo majopela at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 06:48:51 UTC 2015

Inline comments follow after this, but I wanted to respond to Brian question
which has been cut out:

We’re talking here of doing a preliminary analysis of the networking performance,
before writing any real code at neutron level.

If that looks right, then we should go into a preliminary (and orthogonal to iptables/LB)
implementation. At that moment we will be able to examine the scalability of the solution
in regards of switching openflow rules, which is going to be severely affected
by the way we use to handle OF rules in the bridge:

   * via OpenFlow, making the agent a “real" OF controller, with the current effort to use
      the ryu framework plugin to do that.
   * via cmdline (would be alleviated with the current rootwrap work, but the former one
     would be preferred).

Also, ipset groups can be moved into conjunctive groups in OF (thanks Ben Pfaff for the
explanation, if you’re reading this ;-))

Best,
Miguel Ángel

On Wednesday, 25 de February de 2015 at 20:34, Tapio Tallgren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The RFC2544 with near zero packet loss is a pretty standard performance benchmark. It is also used in the OPNFV project (https://wiki.opnfv.org/characterize_vswitch_performance_for_telco_nfv_use_cases).
>
> Does this mean that OpenStack will have stateful firewalls (or security groups)? Any other ideas planned, like ebtables type filtering?

What I am proposing is in the terms of maintaining the statefulness we have now
regards security groups (RELATED/ESTABLISHED connections are allowed back
on open ports) while adding a new firewall driver working only with OVS+OF (no iptables
or linux bridge).

That will be possible (without auto-populating OF rules in oposite directions) due to
the new connection tracker functionality to be eventually merged into ovs.