[openstack-dev] [nova] Shared storage support

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 06:26:29 UTC 2015

Actually I have similar idea, an plan to work on it at L by a nova-spec (is
it worth a spec?).

But this idea not come from this bug, it's come from other cases:

1. Currently we need specified 'on_shared_storage' and 'block_migration'
when evacuate and live_migration. After we tracking the shared storage, we
needn't user specified those parameter. Also scheduler can have priority to
choice the host have shared-storage with previous host.

2. Currently nova compute won't release resources for stopped instance, and
won't rescheduler when start the stopped instance. To implement this, it
need check the instance is on shared storage or not. That make the code
very complex. After scheduler tracking the shared-storage, we can implement
this smart. There is an option specified whether rescheduler stopped
instance when instance isn't on shared storage, because block migration is
waste.

3. Other intelligent scheduling.

The basic idea is add new column in compute_node table, and the new column
store an ID that identifying a storage. If two compute nodes have same
storage id, that means the two nodes on the shared storage. There will be
different way to generate the ID for different type storage, like NFS,
ceph, lvm....

Thanks
Alex