[openstack-dev] [neutron] ML2 versus core plugin for OVN

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 10:30:08 UTC 2015

On 02/24/2015 05:38 PM, Kevin Benton wrote:
> OVN implementing it's own control plane isn't a good reason to make it a
> monolithic plugin. Many of the ML2 drivers are for technologies with
> their own control plane.
>
> Going with the monolithic plugin only makes sense if you are certain
> that you never want interoperability with other technologies at the
> Neutron level. Instead of ruling that out this early, why not make it as
> an ML2 driver and then change to a monolithic plugin if you run into
> some fundamental issue with ML2?

That was my original thinking.  I figure the important code of the ML2
driver could be reused if/when the switch is needed.  I'd really just
take the quicker path to making something work unless it's obvious that
ML2 isn't the right path.  As this thread is still ongoing, it certainly
doesn't seem obvious.

--
Russell Bryant