[openstack-dev] [neutron] ML2 versus core plugin for OVN

loy wolfe loywolfe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 10:02:40 UTC 2015

+1 to separate monolithic OVN plugin

The ML2 has been designed for co-existing of multiple heterogeneous
backends, it works well for all agent solutions: OVS, Linux Bridge, and
even ofagent.

However, when things come with all kinds of agentless solutions, especially
all kinds of SDN controller (except for Ryu-Lib style), Mechanism Driver
became the new monolithic place despite the benefits of code reduction:
 MDs can't inter-operate neither between themselves nor with ovs/bridge
agent L2pop, each MD has its own exclusive vxlan mapping/broadcasting
solution.

So my suggestion is that keep those "thin" MD(with agent) in ML2 framework
(also inter-operate with native Neutron L3/service plugins), while all
other "fat" MD(agentless) go with the old style of monolithic plugin, with
all L2-L7 features tightly integrated.