[openstack-dev] [neutron] ML2 versus core plugin for OVN

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 22:09:15 UTC 2015

I want to emphasize Salvatore's last two points a bit more. If you go with
a monolithic plugin, you eliminate the possibility of heterogenous
deployments.

One example of this that is common now is having the current OVS driver
responsible for setting up the vswitch and then having a ToR driver (e.g.
Big Switch, Arista, etc) responsible for setting up the fabric.
Additionally, there is a separate L3 plugin (e.g. the reference one,
Vyatta, etc) for providing routing.

I suppose with an overlay it's easier to take the route that you don't want
to be compatible with other networking stuff at the Neutron layer (e.g.
integration with the 3rd parties is orchestrated somewhere else). In that
case, the above scenario wouldn't make much sense to support, but it's
worth keeping in mind.

Kevin Benton