[openstack-dev] [nova] Outcome of the nova FFE meeting for Kilo

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Mon Feb 23 21:33:45 UTC 2015

> What's the alternative proposed release model?

I deleted a couple paragraphs of the above before sending this, thinking
(like Joe) that there probably needs to be a specific discussion aimed
at this topic. But:

> What's the compatibility story with Glance / Neutron / Cinder in
> whatever that model is?

I think we end up making the tight integrations where we need to.
Presumably Nova and Neutron still need to coordinate tightly. I'm not
sure Nova and Glance do at this point.

> What's the sliding upgrade window look like?

Right now we're maintaining some level of RPC compatibility to a point
far earlier than Juno. The six month releases give us the *only* points
at which we can (currently, by our existing rules) break compatibility.
Presumably we just need to define the minimum timeframe, and then
iterate our interfaces when it makes sense (and fits a policy). Maybe
that's six months; maybe longer, maybe shorter.

> What's the stable maint story look like? the security fix story?

Aren't you the one that wants to get rid of stable-maint? How we handle
security issues is certainly something worthy of a lot of discussion. If
the community only maintains a single stream, then the answer is "move
forward". If the only people maintaining slower-moving streams are
vendors or distros then I'd say the answer is "ask your vendor."

> I get being frustrated with a thing, but there are a lot of
> considerations before redoing the release cycle.

Well, I'll refer to my original words:

> On 02/23/2015 03:45 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
>> I've been wondering this myself for quite a while now. I'm really
>> interested to hear what things would look like in a no-release model.

That's all. Just interested. I do think it's the sane way forward,
long-term.

--Dan