[openstack-dev] [nova] Ubuntu, qemu, NUMA support

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Mon Feb 23 05:17:27 UTC 2015

On 17/02/15 23:32, Chris Friesen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just thought I'd highlight here that Ubuntu 14.10 is using qemu 2.1, but
> they're not currently enabling NUMA support.
>
> I've reported it as a bug and it's been fixed for 15.04, but there is
> some pushback about fixing it in 14.10 on the grounds that it is a
> feature enhancement and not a bugfix:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qemu/+bug/1417937

FYI, it looks like they're OK with it in Utopic now - the package has
been made and is awaiting SRU verification.

> Also, we currently assume that qemu can pin to NUMA nodes.  This is an
> invalid assumption since this was only added as of qemu 2.1, and there
> only if it's compiled with NUMA support.  At the very least we should
> have a version check, but if Ubuntu doesn't fix things then maybe we
> should actually verify the functionality first before trying to use it.
>
> I've opened a bug to track this issue:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1422775

This bug might still be worthwhile, as quite a few folks will likely
stick with Trusty for Kilo. Though, did you by change check the flag
status of the package in the Ubuntu Cloud Archive? It packages a
different Qemu (ver 2.2) to the main repo ...