[openstack-dev] [all][oslo] Dealing with database connection sharing issues

Yuriy Taraday yorik.sar at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 15:16:00 UTC 2015

On Sun Feb 22 2015 at 6:27:16 AM Michael Bayer <mbayer at redhat.com> wrote:

> > On Feb 21, 2015, at 9:49 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at outlook.com> wrote:
> >
> > Some comments/questions inline...
> >
> > Mike Bayer wrote:

> class,

> like:

> method that allows to register callback that will be called every time a
> Process object is run. If we remove explicit use of `os.fork` in
> oslo.service (replace it with Process class) we'll be able to specify any
> after-fork callbacks in libraries that they need.
> there (it should have some proper finalization logic though).
> >>
> >> +1 to use Process and the callback system for required initialization
> steps
> >> and so forth, however I don’t know that an oslo lib should silently
> register
> >> global events on the assumption of how its constructs are to be used.
> >>
> >> I think whatever Oslo library is responsible for initiating the
> Process/fork
> >> should be where it ensures that resources from other Oslo libraries are
> set
> >> up correctly. So oslo.service might register its own event handler with
> >
> > Sounds like some kind of new entrypoint + discovery service that
> oslo.service (eck can we name it something else, something that makes it
> useable for others on pypi...) would need to plug-in to. It would seems
> like this is a general python problem (who is to say that only oslo
> libraries use resources that need to be fixed/closed after forking); are
> there any recommendations that the python community has in general for this
> (aka, a common entrypoint *all* libraries export that allows them to do
> things when a fork is about to occur)?
> >
> >> oslo.db such that it gets notified of new database engines so that it
> can
> >> associate a disposal with it; it would do something similar for
> >> oslo.messaging and other systems that use file handles.   The end
> >> result might be that it uses register_after_fork(), but the point is
> that
> >> oslo.db.sqlalchemy.create_engine doesn’t do this; it lets oslo.service
> >> apply a hook so that oslo.service can do it on behalf of oslo.db.
> >
> > Sounds sort of like global state/a 'open resource' pool that each
> library needs to maintain internally to it that tracks how
> applications/other libraries are using it; that feels sorta odd IMHO.
> >
> > Wouldn't that mean libraries that provide back resource objects, or
> resource containing objects..., for others to use would now need to capture
> who is using what (weakref pools?) to retain what all the resources are
> being used and by whom (so that they can fix/close them on fork); not every
> library has a pool (like sqlalchemy afaik does) to track these kind(s) of
> things (for better or worse...). And what if those libraries use other
> libraries that use resources (who owns what?); seems like this just gets
> very messy/impractical pretty quickly once you start using any kind of 3rd
> [...]

I think that oslo.db needs to worry about running in Python environment
where people might want to create new Process'es. If we tie everything to
oslo.service we won't be able to do the right thing if someone just wants
to fork in some other code.
We can however provide some nice wrapper around `register_after_fork` that
would allow us to avoid all the weakrefs in other libraries' code.