[openstack-dev] [Neutron] FWaaS - question about drivers

Sumit Naiksatam sumitnaiksatam at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 00:20:13 UTC 2015

Inline...

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Sławek Kapłoński <slawek at kaplonski.pl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thx guys. Now it is clear for me :)
> One more question. I saw that in this service plugin there is hardcoded quota
> 1 firewall per tenant. Do you know why it is so limited? Is there any
> important reason for that?

This is a current limitation of the reference implementation, since we
associate the FWaaS firewall resource with all the neutron routers.
Note that this is not a limitation of the FWaaS model, hence, if your
backend can support it, you can override this limitation.

> And second thing. As there is only one firewall per tenant so all rules from
> it will be applied on all routers (L3 agents) from this tenant and for all
> tenant networks, am I right? If yes, how it is solved to set firewall rules

In general, this limitation is going away in the Kilo release. See the
following patch under review which removes the limitation of one
router per tenant:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/152697/

> when for example new router is created? L3 agent is asking about rules via rpc
> or FwaaS is sending such notification to L3 agent?

In the current implementation this is automatically reconciled.
Whenever a new router comes up, the FWaaS agent pulls the rules, and
applies it on the interfaces of the new router.