[openstack-dev] [infra] [cinder] CI via infra for the DRBD Cinder driver

Philipp Marek philipp.marek at linbit.com
Fri Feb 20 19:24:21 UTC 2015

Hi all,

this is a reflection of the discussion I just had on #openstack-infra; it's
about (re-)using the central CI infrastructure for our Open-Source DRBD
driver too.

The current status is:
 * The DRBD driver is already in Cinder, so DRBD-replicated Cinder storage
   using iSCSI to the hypervisors does work out-of-the-box.
 * The Nova-parts didn't make it in for Kilo; we'll try to get them into L.
 * I've got a lib/backends/drbd for devstack, that together with a matching
   local.conf can set up a node - at least for a limited set of
   distributions (as DRBD needs a kernel module, Ubuntu/Debian via DKMS are
   the easy way).
   [Please note that package installation is not yet done in this script
   yet - I'm not sure whether I can/may/should simply add an
   apt-repository.]

Now, clarkb told me about two caveats:

  «Yup, so the two things I will start with is that multinode testing is
   still really rudimentary, we only just got tempest sort of working with
   it. So I might suggest running on a single node first to get the general
   thing working.

   The other thing is that we don't have the zuul code to vote with
   a different account deployed/merged yet. So initially you could run your
   job but it wouldn't vote against, say, cinder.»

Cinder has a deadline for CI: March 19th; upon relaying that fact (resp.
nearly correct date) clarkb said

  «thats about 3 weeks... probably at least for the zuul thing.»

So, actually it's nearly 4 weeks, let's hope that it all works out.

Actually, the multi-node testing will only be needed when we get the Nova
parts in, because then it would make sense to test (Nova) via both iSCSI
and the DRBD transport; for Cinder CI a single-node setup is sufficient.

My remaining questions are:
 * Is it possible to have our driver tested via the common infrastructure?
 * Is it okay to setup another apt-repository during the devstack run,
   to install the needed packages? I'm not sure whether our servers
   would simply be accessible, some firewall or filtering proxy could
   break such things easily.
 * Apart from the cinder-backend script in devstack (which I'll have to
   finish first, see eg. package installation), is any other information
   needed from us?

Thank you for your feedback and any help you can offer!

Regards,

Phil

--
: Ing. Philipp Marek