[openstack-dev] [cinder] qemu-img disk corruption bug to patch or not?

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Fri Feb 20 07:47:56 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 07:27:33AM +0100, Philipp Marek wrote:

> Potentially corrupted images are bad; depending on the affected data it
> might only be diagnosed some time after installation, so IMO the fix is
> needed.

Sure but there is a (potentially hefty) performance impact.

> Only a minor issue: I'd like to see it have a check for the qemu version,
> and only then kick in.

That dosn't work as $distro may have a qemu 2.0.x that has the fix backported.
That's why the workarounds group was created.  You specify the safe default and
if a distributor knows it's package is safe it can alter the default.

At some point you can invert that or remove the option altogether.

Yours Tony.