[openstack-dev] [nova] Question about force_host skip filters

Joe Cropper cropper.joe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 06:19:15 UTC 2015

+1 to using a filter property to indicate whether the filter needs to be run on force_hosts.  As others have said, there are certain cases that need to be checked even if the admin is trying to intentionally place a VM somewhere such that we can fail early vs. letting the hypervisor blow up on the request in the future (i.e., to help prevent the user from stepping on their own toes).  :-)

Along these lines—dare I bring up the topic of providing an enhanced mechanism to determine which filter(s) contributed to NoValidHost exceptions?  Do others ever hear about operators getting this, and then having no idea why a VM deploy failed?  This is likely another thread, but thought I’d pose it here to see if we think this might be a potential blueprint as well.

- Joe