[openstack-dev] [Neutron] per-agent/driver/plugin requirements

YAMAMOTO Takashi yamamoto at valinux.co.jp
Wed Feb 18 06:00:37 UTC 2015

hi,

i want to add an extra requirement specific to OVS-agent.
(namely, I want to add ryu for ovs-ofctl-to-python blueprint. [1]
but the question is not specific to the blueprint.)
to avoid messing deployments without OVS-agent, such a requirement
should be per-agent/driver/plugin/etc.  however, there currently
seems no standard mechanism for such a requirement.

some ideas:

a. don't bother to make it per-agent.
   add it to neutron's requirements. (and global-requirement)
   simple, but this would make non-ovs plugin users unhappy.

b. make devstack look at per-agent extra requirements file in neutron tree.
   eg. neutron/plugins/$Q_AGENT/requirements.txt

c. move OVS agent to a separate repository, just like other
   after-decomposition vendor plugins.  and use requirements.txt there.
   for longer term, this might be a way to go.  but i don't want to
   block my work until it happens.

d. follow the way how openvswitch is installed by devstack.
   a downside: we can't give a jenkins run for a patch which introduces
   an extra requirement.  (like my patch for the mentioned blueprint [2])

i think b. is the most reasonable choice, at least for short/mid term.

any comments/thoughts?

YAMAMOTO Takashi

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/ovs-ofctl-to-python
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/153946/