[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Stepping down as TripleO PTL

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Feb 17 18:13:07 UTC 2015

On 02/17/2015 11:52 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Anita Kuno's message of 2015-02-17 07:38:01 -0800:
>> On 02/17/2015 09:21 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>>> There has been a recent monumental shift in my focus around OpenStack,
>>> and it has required me to take most of my attention off TripleO. Given
>>> that, I don't think it is in the best interest of the project that I
>>> continue as PTL for the Kilo cycle.
>>>
>>> I'd like to suggest that we hold an immediate election for a replacement
>>> who can be 100% focused on the project.
>>>
>>> Thanks everyone for your hard work up to this point. I hope that one day
>>> soon TripleO can deliver on the promise of a self-deploying OpenStack
>>> that is stable and automated enough to sit in the gate for many if not
>>> all OpenStack projects.

>> So in the middle of a release, changing PTLs can take 3 avenues:
>>
>> 1) The new PTL is appointed. Usually there is a leadership candidate in
>> waiting which the rest of the project feels it can rally around until
>> the next election. The stepping down PTL takes the pulse of the
>> developers on the project and informs us on the mailing list who the
>> appointed PTL is. Barring any huge disagreement, we continue on with
>> work and the appointed PTL has the option of standing for election in
>> the next election round. The appointment lasts until the next round of
>> elections.
>>

> Thanks for letting me know about this Anita.
>
> I'd like to appoint somebody, but I need to have some discussions with a
> few people first. As luck would have it, some of those people will be in
> Seattle with us for the mid-cycle starting tomorrow.
Wonderful.

>> 2) We have an election, in which case we need candidates and some dates.
>> Let me know if we want to exercise this option so that Tristan and I can
>> organize some dates.
>>

> Let's wait a bit until I figure out if there's a clear and willing
> appointee. That should be clear by Thursday.
That sounds fair to me. We tend to kick of election activities on
Fridays anyway.

I talked with Tristan and we have agreed to the following dates, if
there is no appointee and we need to have an election:
Feb 20 - 26: nomination period
Feb 27 to March 5: election period

Keep us posted.

Thanks,