[openstack-dev] [cinder] [oslo] MySQL connection shared between green threads concurrently

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 17:49:20 UTC 2015

Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

>> My question is then how is it that such an architecture would be
>> possible,
>> that Cinder’s service starts up without greenlets yet allows
>> greenlet-based
>> requests to come in before this critical task is complete? Shouldn’t the
>> various oslo systems be providing patterns to prevent this disastrous
>> combination?
>
> I would have thought so, but they are (mostly) libraries not frameworks
> so they are often combined in unexpected ways. Let's see where the issue
> is before deciding on where the fix should be.

my next suspicion is that this is actually a spawned subprocess, though
oslo.concurrency, and it is failing to create a new connection pool and thus
is sharing the same file descriptor between processes. That is a much more
ordinary issue and would explain everything I’m seeing in a more familiar
way. Let me see if i can confirm *that*.