[openstack-dev] [glance]'Add' capability to the HTTP store

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 19:13:17 UTC 2015

On 02/16/2015 01:39 PM, Jordan Pittier wrote:
>  >So, I don't understand what allowing the HTTP backend to support add()
> gives the user of Glance.
> It doesn't give anything to the user.
>
> glance_store is all about different backends, such as the VMWare
> datastore or the Sheepdog data store. Having several backends/drivers
> allows the cloud operator/administrator to choose among several options
> when he deploys and operates his cloud. Currently the HTTP store lacks
> an 'add' method so it can't be used as a default store. But the cloud
> provider may have an existing storage solution/infrastructure that has
> an HTTP gateway and that understands basic PUT/GET/DELETE operations.
> So having a full blown HTTP store makes sense, imo, because it gives
> more deployment options.
>
> Is that clearer ? What do you think ?

I understand what you're saying. However, if you look at the Swift
driver, you'll see that it's really nothing more than the HTTP driver
that you're referring to above. It's just that the swift driver knows
the Swift HTTP API semantics.

Why not just add a scality driver that performed HTTP operations to
store image bits in your backend storage?

Best,
-jay