[openstack-dev] [kolla][tripleo][containers] New technical direction for Kolla

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Mon Feb 16 16:42:37 UTC 2015

Hey folks,

A few weeks ago I sent the mailing list a broad outline [1] for our new approach to deploying OpenStack using container technology.  Between then and now, the Kolla core team has approved a new technical direction [2].

In summary, our new approach is to use fig [3] to provide single-node orchestration of containers.  The container content will still be produced based upon the existing containers developed in the first two milestones of Kolla.  We plan to tackle some of the more difficult problems of deploying OpenStack in containers using super-privileged containers [4].

We are drawing a line in the sand around what Kolla is and is not responsible for.  Specifically the activities of running fig on the single node is the responsibility of some third party deployment tool such as TripleO, Fuel, SpinalStack, and the list goes on ;)  It doesn’t take a great leap of imagination to design a system to do this job using something like Ansible or Puppet, but it is outside the scope of Kolla at this time.

Best Regards,
-steve

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org/msg45234.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/153798/