[openstack-dev] [docs] rethinking docs jobs in the gate

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Feb 16 15:36:07 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015, at 10:05 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> I've noticed a proliferation of docs jobs on projects in the gate now -
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/154737/
>
> gate-trove-tox-checkniceness    SUCCESS in 2m 34s
> gate-trove-tox-checksyntax      SUCCESS in 2m 51s
> gate-trove-tox-checkdeletions   SUCCESS in 2m 11s
> gate-trove-tox-doc-publish-checkbuild   SUCCESS in 4m 46s
>
> in addition to the base:
>
> gate-trove-docs SUCCESS in 2m 31s
>
> I'm not sure I understand why these docs jobs are separate, and not all
> part of gate-trove-docs.
>

> It seems like it would be good if 'tox -e docs' was the docs test entry
> point, and if a project wanted to test for these various checks in the
> docs those would be changed in tox.ini for the project for that docs
> target.
>
> It also means you don't have to build and maintain multiple local venvs,
> and would substantially reduce test nodes used in upstream testing.

When we talked about this in the review of the governance change to set
"tox -e docs" as part of the testing interface for a project, jeblair
(and maybe others) pointed out that we didn't want projects running
extra steps when their docs were built. So maybe we want to continue to
use "tox -e venv -- python setup.py build_sphinx" for the real docs, and
allow a "tox -e docs" job for the check queu for testing.

Doug