[openstack-dev] [docs] rethinking docs jobs in the gate

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Feb 16 15:29:42 UTC 2015

On 02/16/2015 04:05 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> I've noticed a proliferation of docs jobs on projects in the gate now -
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/154737/

Trove is the only project using XML files and thus uses the
openstack-manuals setup for these.

> gate-trove-tox-checkniceness	SUCCESS in 2m 34s
> gate-trove-tox-checksyntax	SUCCESS in 2m 51s
> gate-trove-tox-checkdeletions	SUCCESS in 2m 11s
> gate-trove-tox-doc-publish-checkbuild	SUCCESS in 4m 46s
>
> in addition to the base:
>
> gate-trove-docs	SUCCESS in 2m 31s
>
> I'm not sure I understand why these docs jobs are separate, and not all
> part of gate-trove-docs.

It's easy to merge them for trove.

> It seems like it would be good if 'tox -e docs' was the docs test entry
> point, and if a project wanted to test for these various checks in the
> docs those would be changed in tox.ini for the project for that docs target.

Trove is the only python project doing it this way.

> It also means you don't have to build and maintain multiple local venvs,
> and would substantially reduce test nodes used in upstream testing.

For documentation projects we should discuss this separately as well,

Andreas
   GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
       Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)